Sunday, February 27, 2011

Nose Profile

Figuring out how big to make the blunt was easy. It's going to be the same as the tail width. They should finish out at 6-1/2". That's not too big. I'm going to provide some more blocking and belt sand blend it. No funky nose or tail trim pieces on this one.


Saturday, February 26, 2011

Bottom Panel glued

I let the frame dry overnight and popped it out of the jig. The stop blocks and finger blocks were removed and the bottom panel is aligned in the jig. Next, I put the frame on the bottom panel and trace around it leaving it a little proud. Then I cut the excess. I also mark the nose, tail and ribs. Next comes the gorilla glue and then the frame is re-installed. I use a combination of weight and clamps to get a snug fit and maximum contact. This will dry overnight.


Friday, February 25, 2011

Frame is glued

I traced the outline and hot glued the shims at the end of the ribs and in between them too. Next the ribs get put back in and one more test fit. Finally, the nose piece, tail piece and ribs are glued to the spar. The stringers are friction fit to keep everything where it's suppose to be.


Thursday, February 24, 2011

Set-up blunt nose

I set the spar, then milled and installed the support blocking. The blocking goes under each rib and between the ribs unless it's on the flats. The nose and tail get support blocking also. I haven't installed the shims yet but, I put a few out so you could see where they'd go. The spar is held in place by finger blocking on the support blocking and stop blocks in the flats. That'll get removed after the ribs and stringers are glued to the spar. I'll update the final set-up tomorrow after the shims are in place.


Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Blunt nose bottom panel

I finished it today. I'll start building the frame jig in the next few days.


Thursday, February 10, 2011

Starting bottom panel

Yesterday, I re-sawed my 2x stock for the bottom panel strips and rail strips. So begins the process of laying up the bottom panel. This is for the blunt nose.


Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Finishing evolution nose rider.

It needed a light filler coat to make it right. All I need to do is level it and wet sand. I'm planning to clear coated the board after the blunt nose is off the bench top. The warm weather we're having is making this all possible.