Friday, September 10, 2010

It's about the rails.












Rails make me happy. The tapered rails I've been surfing and building are the best. I'm reminded of this every time I get out in the water. It's a lot easier to manage my board when it doesn't have those fat boaty rails. You wouldn't think it'd make much of a difference but, it does.

Tapered rails work for me for two reasons. I think it's easier to catch waves because of the board's foil shape. The only way to get that shape is with tampered rails. What I like best though is having better rail control when dropping in or turning. With a fat not so tapered rail, it's a lot harder to feel that rail. The shape of the bottom also makes a huge difference. I like some belly in the middle, nose concave and vee in the tail. Those features work better for me than a board with a flat bottom.

Ok, that's how it works for me. I love my evo and the nose rider is going to be even better. All you guys that have to run to the nose to stay in the wave know what I'm talking about.

D.

2 comments:

  1. yes, agree about rail design. would like to compare them on the same day, same waves. Hard to remember one from the other, oh and same fin. BTW, how thick is that fin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used 3/8" thick milled stock. It finishes out to about 15/16" - 1". I been surfing the evo in all conditions. It works good and I'm loving it.


    D.

    ReplyDelete